What Challah Make For Breakfast?

Ha ha.

To continue with my breadventures I decided to make a plaited Challah loaf. I was really excited about the plaiting part cos so far I've only really made flatbreads, which don't come in overly exciting shapes (although that might be an idea). I'm not honestly sure how tasty this bread is on its own, but it really shines when used in dessert, as I will get to later. The lack of a distinct flavour is probably because I used wholewheat flour, so it just tastes like quite simple brown bread. Although the crustiness of the plait does make it infinitely more exciting.

Let's weave
I'm giving the recipe I used here but recommending that for a tastier bread, go with white/any other interesting flour. 

Simple Wholewheat Challah Bread.

2 teaspoons active dry or instant yeast
1 cup/230ml lukewarm water
400g wholewheat bread flour
200gish white flour
40g white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk (reserve the white for the egg wash)
60ml vegetable oil

On writing up this recipe I now realise that I think I forgot to add the sugar, which is probably why the bread tasted just like wholemeal. Lol. Excuse to retry I suppose.
How to: I got this recipe directly from the kitchn and the directions are really well laid out, so there is no point in me trying to do it justice.
Minor changes: I used a mixture of white and wholewheat flour, and proved the dough overnight in the fridge.
Doughn't forget the sugar
You knead to make this bread




I can prove it
I mean, it's the yeast you could do


I'm on a roll with these puns
Don't be abraid to get it wrong
It takes some willflour
But rise to the challenge

Go on, you'll loaf it
Get a slice of the action


This bread is perfect for use in desserts as-is (the wholewheat recipe). I used it for peanut butter and banana French toast, which was delicious. The simple flavour and robust crust makes it the perfect topping carrier.

For PB French toast for two:

Toast 4 slices bread, soak one side of each in 2 whisked eggs with a splash of vanilla. Spread un-soaked sides with peanut butter then fry egg side in butter, place slices of banana on the peanut butter, stick together, butter with a thin layer of golden syrup or honey and sprinkle with cinnamon.

It's also perfect to use the last few stale-ish slices in cinnamon bread and butter pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment