Every Tuesday

How have I only just discovered this foodie lunchtime haven? Every Tuesday from 10am-3pm, street food vendors of Manchester gather to provide the hungry student with mouthwatering delights that can’t be found in the campus canteen….Correct me if I’m wrong, but I doubt you’ve had a venison burger or peanut butter snickerdoodle brownie in Uni Place.

Photo: @lushbrownies

On the mention of the latter dessert, I don’t expect much more persuasion to visit is necessary. However, for the sake of ensuring your attendance, I’ll continue.


Is your muffin buttered?
Brownie points



















Opposite George Kenyon Hall – behind Uni Place, you’ll find a campsite of delicious hot and cold food offerings. For hot days, there’s ice cream. For cold, there’s coffee and hot chocolate. The amount of pudding selection is difficult for the sweet-toothed, like me, as there are hot waffles, pancakes with syrup and ice cream, about 12 varieties of fudge brownie, and an array of freshly baked muffins. Due to my unplanned visit I did not have the funds to try everything I wanted to, and only purchased the salted caramel brownie, but may be back for the offer of 4 for £5 - a great idea for some early Christmas gifts for friends.

All of the independent vendors were friendly and eager to chat and offer tasters. The cheese stall in particular was great for providing samples and a genuine knowledge of each taste, I plan to return and stock up in time for a pre-Christmas cheese & wine evening. Relatives would also probably appreciate a rare cheese for Christmas, with types ranging from tangy manchego to deep, earthy Montgomery cheddar. A friend had introduced me to the blue sheep’s cheese which, after polishing off with any cheese-holding carb available, drew me to visit the market itself.



After starting course-backwards due an irresistible brownie, I moved on to the ‘northwest game’ stall for a hearty venison burger with extra chilli sauce. It was great to have a meat I wouldn’t usually buy, and at the reasonable price of £3.50. Other options were the regulars ‘pheasant nibbles’ and ‘game sausage’, which I intend on returning to try, as well as their special of wild duck in plum sauce. At less than a fiver for an innovative lunch you probably wouldn’t make at home, it would be a crime not to a least have a look.

As I turned up at almost 3pm, the majority of stalls were packing up so I didn’t see the market in its full glory. But I did observe the quesadilla van serving rabbit and chorizo amongst Mexican classics like chilli con carne. Delighted with my find, I’ll be back again next week.


Term time every Tuesday 10am-3pm.

Opposite George Kenyon Hall. (Behind Uni Place – keep going through the doors!)

Vendors:

P.S Apologies that this is a very niche Manchester-Student post, broader aimed bloggings to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment